Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Sharing beauty


A couple of weeks ago, a dear friend invited me to partake in a lovely showing of some knits and crochets at the home of her mother's friend's house. I was so touched she thought of me and knew that I would enjoy looking and touching so many beautiful creations.


 She told me: "I knew you would appreciate the beauty."



But don't we all appreciate the beauty? Psalm 19:1-4 says that 
"The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands.Day after day they pour forth speech; night after night they display knowledge.There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard. Their voice goes out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world. 


 The Lord has put beauty in our lives to experience every single day. Only because He loves us and knows us. He knows our soul craves beauty amidst the weariness of this world. He gives us beauty in this world to make it a little bit easier for us to bear. And it is just a taste--a small taste!- of what is to come. Isn't that glorious!!


Here is a package so beautifully decorated by the lovely Megan of the blog Contented Sparrow. She is a share-er of beauty, everything she touches is beautiful. 


 I became friends with a dear woman named Becky Metcalf whom I met while attending Sally Clarkson's MomHeart Intensive back in September. She spoke on beauty in our lives and how important it is. She shares beauty by her artwork and her calligraphy. She sent me this little card in the mail the week of Thanksgiving. Such a lovely reminder of His love for us in all kinds of ways.

 Sharing beauty is so important in our lives! If the Lord shares it with us, then we should make every attempt to share it with others in our lives, especially those in our families.
When my mother was here over Thanksgiving, we had a "girls' Christmas tea" at our favorite local tea place. It was so relaxing taking the time to sip tea, look at the beauty around us and teach the little girls the "art of conversation." 
We need beauty to survive!


Lastly, what kind of beauty are you sharing with yourself? It is so important to share beauty with our own selves. I picked up some beautiful yarn and began to knit a cowl for my daughter. I was inspired by the knit show and wanted to create some for myself as well as share with my daughter. After our tea excursion, we headed over to the used bookstore and I picked up this gem of a book. It is the nature diary of Edith Holden. She shares all kinds of artwork and poetry and notes about what she sees in her area over the course of a year.

As we go about life in this fallen world, we need to be aware of God's never-ending, perfect love for us. Recognizing and sharing beauty with each other and ourselves is a perfect way to give Him praise!

(you can check out more of the knits from the show I attended by going to Beaux by Meg.)

1 comment:

Children of Eve said...

Thank you Andrea for sharing all of these beautiful things with us. Beauty lifts our spirits and reminds us that there is so much more in store for us.

"A thing of beauty is a joy forever; it's loveliness increases; it can never pass into nothingness."-Keats